Every year, more and more people are learning to enjoy stand up paddle boarding because it is a fun activity that you can take part in, whether you live near an ocean or a lake. There are inflatable options and hard boards that you can consider, but finding the best option for your needs can be difficult, especially since even a high-end inflatable option can cost more than $1,000. Once you find a stand-up paddleboard that works for your needs and fits within your budget, you can start enjoying the water and learning how to use it.
Types of Stand Up Paddle Boards
Stand up paddle boards can be made out of a number of materials, and each one will add to the cost of the board. With that being said, instead of looking at the different types of paddle boards that you can purchase and the reason for buying each one, let’s take a look at how much you can expect to pay for each type of board based upon their use.
- An All-Around Board: An all-around board that you can basically use for any purpose can cost as much as $1,500, but you can often find a cheaper model for around $500. This is a variation that is good for beginners and those who are unsure if they are going to stick with the sport.
- A Surfing Board: This is going to be a hardboard that can withstand the rough water that you can encounter in the ocean. Surfing stand up paddle boards can range between $1,000 and $2,000 easily.
- A Racing Board: Racing boards are a bit narrower than most, but they are mostly made out of composite material that will last longer. These boards can cost upwards of $3,000, but if you need a surfing board option for a beginner, there are inflatable models that are worth considering at a much lower price point.
- A Touring Board: Touring boards are designed to travel for longer distances on the water so that you can explore and see what is around you. An excellent touring stand-up paddle board can easily cost $2,000. However, there are models that can be purchased for as low as $700.
- A Fishing Board: A stand-up paddle board that is designed specifically for fishing is one that is going to have a wide deck so that you have space for your fishing gear. One of these boards with fishing rod mounts, tackle boxes, and a cooler can easily cost as much as $3,000, especially if you opt for an option with all of the accessories.
- A Yoga Board: A board that is designed for yoga on the water is one that has a large deck. It will typically cost between $1,000 and $1,500 for a solid yoga board.
Stand Up Paddle Board Construction
These boards are made out of different things, which could significantly increase the cost of the board that you are looking to purchase. Durability and portability are imperative for a quality boars construction as well. All of the materials that are used for stand up paddle boards will give you at least some durability. Some of the most common paddle board constructions to consider are:
- Composite: This is a board type that uses epoxy to create the board. This is the best materials to consider if you want performance from these boards for racing, surfing, or even traveling long distances. Typically, epoxy resin is poured over the board so that it has additional strength and stiffness. The best stand up paddle boards are made out of this type of material, and many of them are crafted by hand.
- Inflatable: Inflatable options are the most convenient boards to take with you when you need to travel. Most are made out of a PVC material that is several layers thick so that it does not easily puncture in the water. Most of these boards have a thickness of at least six inches, and because they use less material, they have a lower price point that a composite stand up paddle board. This material does make the board travel a bit slower, so take that into consideration before making a purchase.
- Plastic: Typically, boards that are constructed out of plastic are the cheapest option that you can purchase. They are durable and easy to balance on, but they do not glide across the water very well, and paddling on one of these boards can be difficult, especially if you need to turn frequently.
- Foam: This is a low-cost option that is common for boards that are designed for beginners. These types of boards have a softer deck that feels more padded when you fall as you are learning how to balance on the board. If you plan on taking your kids with you on your new stand up paddle board, then this is n option worth considering.
How Much are Stand Up Paddle Boards?
A good board can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 or more. With that being said, why are stand up paddle boards so expensive? Stand up paddle boards prices vary based on the type of board that you want to purchase, the size of the board, and the material to construct it. The more materials that the board needs to be made, the more expensive it will be to purchase. In addition, some stand up paddle boards have layers of fiberglass around the outside of the material. They can also have wood veneers that require the board to have an additional clear coat on the surface. These supplemental materials can cost $200 or more.
Additional production costs that can add to the final cost of the stand up paddle board that you are purchasing. Since these boards have an intricate shape that may not be easy to get the first time correctly, some shapers will need to make 10 or more boards before they get one that is perfect. Each board has a different shape, so there is not a pattern that the shaper can follow or a method that will make carving the board easier. Boards that are shaped by hand can cost a lot more to make than ones that are shaped using a computer to cut the board.
- 🏄 Black Friday Sale!! ROC Paddle Boards premium inflatable paddle board is made of the highest quality military grade material. We provide the most durable lightweight board on the market, using the same materials as boards costing twice as much.
- 🏄Our extra wide design creates an incredible all-around board for people of all skill level. These kits can be used in the ocean, fresh water lakes, and rivers. Our boards are an industry-leading weight of only 17.5 pounds—that’s 20% lighter than competitors’. Board dimensions are 10’ long by 32” wide and 6” thick with a weight limit of 300 pounds.
- 🏄Our premium paddle board package has everything you need to enjoy your day on the water including: your board, collapsible aluminum paddle, safety leash, hand pump, waterproof bag for essentials such as cell phone and keys, and an upgraded backpack to hold everything. Comfortable and convenient, this complete elite package will get you anywhere you want to paddle.
- 🏄 USA family owned company!! We stand by the quality of our boards and are glad to provide a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty at no additional cost. With tens of thousands of boards sold across the world, you can trust ROC as the leader in quality and fun!
- WIDE SUP DESIGN – The Serene Life stand up paddling board is 10’ long and provides 32” of deck width for improved stability and balance while standing
- SUPERIOR MANEUVERABILITY – The triple bottom panel fins help board improve overall speed, handling and steering for easier use by kids, teens and adults alike
- NON-SLIP SOFT TOP DECK – Great for beginners, our paddleboard is made for early learning and for less accidents or injuries should you fall—happens to us all!
- INFLATABLE & PORTABLE – Take your paddleboard with you wherever you go! It quickly inflates or deflates for easy storage, making it ideal for the lake, river or ocean.
- COMPLETE PADDLEBOARD KIT – Every SereneLife Paddle Board also comes with paddling essentials, including a coiled ankle cuff safety leash, oar Pedal, manual air pump, patch repair accessory kit, and convenient storage bag!
- 【New ultra light construction dual layer PVC 】35% lighter than comparable models. Inflated 10’6" long 33" wide 6" thick, weight 17.6 lbs, maximum capacity is up to 300 lbs, stable and great for all skill levels and conditions.
- 【Ultra durable】Constructed with additional PVC layer of board rails are highly strengthened the board durability.
- 【Safety & Convenience】 33'' board width and 3 removable fins construction achieved amazing balance ability.
- 【Package including 】 Board, adjustable aluminum paddle, high pressure pump, travel backpack, coil leash,waterproof bag, and 3 removable fins.
- 【Warranty】No risk returns within 30 days+ 60 day guarantee +1 year manufacturer warranty.
There are a lot of considerations to take into account when you decide that you would like to try your hand at stand up paddleboarding. Even a beginner can spend quite a bit of money on a stand-up paddleboard, but it is because the quality of the board is not lacking at all, and shaping the material of the board can take several attempts to perfect. Take a look at our stand up paddleboard reviews to find one that will not break the bank.