Skateboarding has become a new hobby for you; no actually, it’s becoming a way of life. You ride your skateboard whenever you can; in fact, you even ride it to class, work, and for simple errands. Your beginner board is becoming worn, and you want to get a new skateboard, maybe even try out a new style.
You have not been able to find the board that you want, so you have decided to build your own skateboard. You have all of the parts that you need, except for the deck. How do you know which decks are the best skateboard decks for your needs?
This guide is designed to help you figure out what you need and point you towards a few great choices. Let’s start by taking a look at some of the features that you will want to consider before making a purchase.
Skateboard Decks Comparison:
|Skate One Mini-Logo Skateboard Deck||31.25 inches||Grey||Check Price|
|Baker Brand Logo Deck-8.0 Black/White Skateboard Deck||37.5 inches||Black/Red||Check Price|
|Vision Original Psycho Stick Reissue Skateboard Deck||30 inches||Pink||Check Price|
|Enjoi Spectrum Black Deck 8.0″ Resin 7 Skateboard Decks||31.7 inches||Black||Check Price|
|Moose Old School Skateboard Deck||30 inches||Blank||Check Price|
|FORESTONE Blank/Natural Skateboard Decks||31.5 inches||Blank/Natural||Check Price|
|Bamboo pintail Deck Longboard Skateboard 44” X 10″||44 inches||Natural/Bamboo||Check Price|
|Moose Blank Skateboard Deck||7/8.5 inches||Blank/Natural||Check Price|
Consider the Deck Style
The deck style that you select will be determined by the style of skateboarding that you like to do. You can choose from the following:
- A Shortboard – These are the best option for someone who likes to perform a lot of tricks. They are especially useful for when you want to tweak your tricks at the skate park. These decks are typically seven to 10 inches wide and between 28 to 33 inches long.
- A Longboard – These are designed for riding on the street. If you want a skateboard to get from location A to location B, then this is the best option for you. They are designed to accelerate relatively quickly, and they are easy to maneuver at faster speeds. These boards are typically over 36 inches long, and they are wider than 10.5 inches, which makes this deck style a great option for individuals with larger feet.
- A Cruiser – This is a type of deck that is designed specifically for cruising down hills and racing your friends. They offer extra grip to keep you securely on the board.
- An Old School Deck – These offer the skater an asymmetrical shape and vintage print designs.
Consider the Deck Material
Maple is the strongest option for a skateboard deck. A lot of the professional decks are made from Canadian Maple because it is slightly more durable and a higher quality wood. In my opinion, any type of maple is hard enough for a good deck material.
Bamboo is another very hard wood that makes a great deck. The advantage to this material is that it is more lightweight, which makes it easier to carry. If you tend to go through decks a lot, then a carbon fiber material may provide a longer lasting solution. The downside is that this material does not have as much give as wooden boards, so they can be more difficult to perform tricks on.
Consider the Size of the Deck
When you think about the size of your deck, you need to take a look at both the width and the length. The width of the deck will help you keep your balance better. If you have a larger shoe size, keeping your footing on a narrow board will be difficult. As you increase the width, it will become easier to ride, but if you go too wide, you can lose control of the board. Insofar as the length, that is purely based on the style of skating that you do.
Micro Decks are the smallest options that you can purchase. They are 6.5 to 6.75 inches wide, which means that they are designed for children who have small feet. I’d recommend a micro deck for someone under five years of age.
As the skater increases in age and size, the deck that you would select would move up as well. There are also mini decks, mid-sized decks, and full-sized decks. Check out this infographic or a breakdown of each size.
Consider the Shape of the Deck
Skateboards come in many shapes, but I have found that a concave deck is the best for most riding styles. The concave design gives you more control over the board when you are riding. However, concave does not really tell you the actual shape; it only tells you there is a concave curve to the deck. Here are some of the best concave options for your deck:
- A radical concave design features a U-shaped curve that is very subtle.
- A progressive concave curve has a deeper curve than a radical design.
- A tub concave is designed with rails that are angled at a larger angle than a radical design.
- A “W” Concave has a deck that is wavy like the letter.
- An asymmetrical deck features rails that are designed at different angles.
Additional Important Considerations
- Durability – We talked about the material that the deck is made from making it more durable, but if the deck is crafted from wood, the ply is also important. I’d suggest having at least a seven-ply deck to make sure that it is durable enough for all of your skating needs.
- Wheelbase – The distance between the wheels will help you control the board as well as maintain your balance. I find that the standard 12-inch to 15-inch wheelbase is ideal for tricks and cruising, but the length will vary. They are typically measured based on the mounting holes on the deck.
- Nose, Tail, and Rails – If you do a lot of tricks as you skate, you need to have a nose and tail that can accommodate your style. This may mean having a kicktail on one or both ends, but it also means having a rail that is easy to grab onto when you are performing stunts. Some rails are great for flips, while others are designed more for slides and grinds.
Best Skateboard Decks Reviews
1. Skate One Mini-Logo Skateboard Deck
If you are looking for stability, then the first skateboard deck on my list is a great option. This skateboard deck is designed from maple, which means that it has one of the most durable construction options available. In addition, it is a seven-ply deck, which gives it added strength as you are riding down the street or performing tricks.
The deck is designed for a full-length skateboard, so it is 31.25 inches in length. When you make a purchase, you can choose how wide you want the deck to be. The range available for the decks is between 7.5 inches and 8.5 inches.
I have found that this deck is perfect for the street, but it has enough pop to ride in the park. It has a moderate concave design, but the kicktails are nonexistent. These are beneficial for tricks, which is why this deck is perfect for a beginner.
- It is a very portable deck.
- The deck is crafted from durable materials that will last for a long time.
- It is available in eight different color options.
- If you are looking for a lot of pop and flair, this board is rather bland when it comes to design.
2. Baker Brand Logo Deck-8.0 Black/White Skateboard Deck
The next deck that I really liked riding is the Baker Brand Logo Skateboard Deck. It is a popsicle-style board that is great for street skating. The deck can be purchased in black or red, but both have the company logo printed across the bottom of the deck in bold white lettering.
This deck is crafted with high-quality wood that is designed to be seven plies strong, so you should have no issues using it daily. This is a standard sized deck, so it measures 37.5 inches in length, and this width of this model measures eight inches. I love how easy this board is to control. It has a slight concave build, but once again there are no kicktails on this deck.
- This is a great deck for a beginner.
- The craftsmanship of the deck is very durable and strongly built.
- The logo is boldly displayed, which gives this deck a lot of character.
- There is no grip tape on the deck, but it can be purchased easily.
- This is not a great option for performing stunts.
3. Mini-Logo Skateboards Deck
The next deck is one that I found to be a great option for my skating needs, especially when I want to show off my stunts at the skate park. The deck features a popsicle-style, asymmetrical design that is pleasing to the eye. It is crafted from hard maple wood, which gives it exceptional durability. The deck is created with seven plies of wood that have been laminated to prevent weather damage.
There is a slight concave shape to this deck, which makes it easier to maneuver when you are skating down the street. This is a 31-inch deck that is available with widths varying from 7.5 to eight inches.
It is available in three colors, which are yellow, navy, and green. Since there is not a massive design on the deck, you can also paint it easily if you choose to do so.
- This is a very durable board that is made with high-quality materials.
- This deck is great for tricks and street skating.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- I find that this deck is a little heavy, but it is still easy to control.
4. Vision Original Psycho Stick Reissue Skateboard Deck
If you were a skater in the 80s, then you probably remember the original Vision Psycho Stick. Well, I was a big fan of this board when I was a child, and the company has reissued the skateboard deck with modern truck hole patterns so the next generation can enjoy the deck as much as we did when we were younger.
The deck is 30 inches long and 10 inches wide, making this the perfect wide deck for cruising down the street. It has a wheelbase of 15 inches, which gives you a great amount of balance and control as you ride. The deck is designed with wavy rails that are easy to grab, and there is a slightly concave shape as well.
Insofar as aesthetics, this deck is loud, so you are sure to get noticed at the skate park. It is also available in five color variants to fit your personality.
- It features a nostalgic design from the 80s that has been modernized for today’s standards.
- The concave is ideal for racing.
- There is plenty of space to put your feet on the deck, no matter how big your shoes are.
- Grip tape does not come with the deck.
5. Enjoi Spectrum Black Deck 8.0″ Resin 7 Skateboard Decks
Enjoi is a well-known skateboard company, and their Spectrum Black Skateboard Deck makes it easy to see why. This deck features a very versatile popsicle design that is great for riding in the park and the street. I love simply cruising downhill on the deck, but it is also perfect for doing tricks at the skate park. In fact, it has a kicktail on both the nose and the tail, which makes doing stunts even easier.
This is a full-sized skateboard deck, so it has a length of 31.7 inches. In addition, it is eight inches wide, so it will provide you with a good bit of stability as you ride. The deck is made from a durable material that is coated with a glossy black finish. The company logo is printed in big letters right down the length of the board. I love the rainbow coloration of the logo because it gives it a unique look that stands out.
- It is great for teenagers and adults.
- It is a very versatile deck, so no matter what your skate style is, it will accommodate your needs.
- The color of the logo is very bright, which can be off-putting for some.
Best Skateboard Decks Vs Best Blank Skateboard Decks
Graphic decks look great around the skate park. The unique art on the deck shows your style and personality, but it can also be a bit more expensive to purchase. If you are looking for cheap skateboard decks, then you should consider blank decks instead. There is not going to be a fancy design on these decks. Some offer a bit of color, but most are simply wood.
I have found that purchasing a blank deck can save you quite a bit of money. If you want to add personality to the board, you can actually paint it yourself. Check out this cool guide to learn how to create a great design on a blank deck.
Best Blank Skateboard Decks
1. Moose Old School Skateboard Deck
The first blank skateboard deck on the list is one that features an old school design. The deck is a full 30 inches long, and it has a width of 10 inches, which gives you plenty of room to put your feet. The wood on this deck is a natural looking, high-quality Canadian maple that is designed to last through a lot of use. The wood is also a seven-ply construction so that it adds an extra layer of durability.
The wheelbase of this board is about 14 inches, which gives you plenty of stability, especially for cruising. The tail and the nose have a slight concave shape that is complete with s decent sized kicktail for doing tricks. Even though this deck looks a bit larger than some of the others on this list, it is a very lightweight design that is easy to carry around the park.
- It is a very durable deck.
- The old school 80s design of the deck is amazing
- It can easily be painted to fit your style.
- It does not offer a lot of pop, which may hinder some rider’s skate style.
2. FORESTONE Blank/Natural Skateboard Decks
The next blank skateboard deck that is on the list is one that is made from Canadian maple. The wood features a seven-ply design that adds exceptional strength to the deck itself.
It offers a great design for all types of skate styles. The concave that this deck offers is rather deep, which helps you keep your feet in place as you ride. It also has a decent slope on both of the ends of the deck, which is useful for when you are attempting to learn new tricks.
The deck is smoothed to a beautiful finish so that you can add further customization to the design if you wish. The deck is 31.5 inches long and eight inches wide, which makes it a great option for a beginner of any age. It is also a great deck for an intermediate level skater to choose because of its versatility.
- The wood has been sanded to perfection to make it easy to add flavor to the deck.
- This deck is crafted from very high-quality materials.
- This board has a great amount of pop.
- The board is a bit on the heavy side.
3. Bamboo pintail Deck Longboard Skateboard 44” X 10″
If you are looking for a longboard deck, then the Bamboo Pintail Longboard Skateboard Deck is a great option. The seven-ply bamboo deck has a pintail design that is ideal for cruising. In fact, with the right wheels, I have found that you can barely feel the bumps in the pavement as you race down the road.
Even though this is a longer board that is a full 44 inches long, it is still made from lightweight materials that are easy to carry when the need arises. I love the slightly concave shape of the board and the fact that deck is able to flex with me as I ride downhill.
I had an artist friend of mine paint this board because the long canvas leaves endless options to match your personality and style.
- It has a sleek design that shows the natural beauty of the wood.
- It is fully laminated so that it shines, and it is protected from the weather.
- The board is designed for speed, but it is versatile enough to fit large and small wheels.
- The board may be too long for some
4. Moose Blank Skateboard Deck
The Moose Blank Skateboard Deck is a great option for anyone who does not want to spend a lot on a new deck. It is made with a seven-ply of beautiful maple wood that is durable and long lasting. The deck is a full 32 inches long, but it is available in a few varying widths that ranges from 7 inches to 8.5 inches.
This deck is exceptional for performing tricks; in fact, it is one of my favorite decks to use at the skate park. It is also great for street skating as well. The radical U-concave design gives that board amazing pop. In addition, the board’s design is great for stability and control, no matter what your skate style is.
I love that this deck is available in several base colors; I especially like the stained purple because it adds personality to the deck, but you can still see the grain of the wood through the paint.
- This is a great deck to personalize with paint or stickers.
- The wood is very durable.
- This board comes with good quality grip tape.
- The wood does not seem to be as durable as some of the other decks in the same price range.
5. Blank Decks Warning Skateboard Deck (Natural)
The final blank skateboard deck on this list is designed by a California-based company that manufactures a good amount of deck designs at a relatively low price point. This deck is 31 inches long, and it has a width of 7.5 inches, which is a pretty standard size for a full-sized skateboard deck.
This deck is very lightweight, which makes it easy to do tricks, no matter how young you are. It has a concave shape with a double kicktail that gives it an exceptional amount of pop. I also love the amount of control that you have on this deck.
It is crafted from seven plies of Canadian maple, which gives it a very durable design that will last. The plain design of the board is also great for personalization, so be creative with the design.
- This is a great deck for tricks.
- The board is very lightweight, making it great for beginners.
- The smooth finish makes it convenient to decorate.
- The deck tends to get scuffed easily.
- This deck does not come with grip tape, so you must purchase some separately.
skater, you want a deck that is going to match your skate style. Use this guide to find out which type of deck meets your needs. Settle on a size and a style, before you make a purchase. If you are working on a budget, then save some cash by purchasing one of the cheap skateboard decks on this list. No matter which deck you select, don’t forget to skate safely and have fun.