A Great Look: The Dragon from Powell
Powell-Peralta is one of skateboarding’s oldest manufacturers. In fact, this brand of the skateboard has been around since 1978. With this kind of pedigree,
You can be assured that Powell-Peralta knows exactly what kind of skateboards work best for beginner to advanced boarders.
The Golden Dragon has some nice aesthetics and some great functionality for any type of rider, which is why I chose to write this review.
Comparison Table Powell Golden Dragon
The Powell Golden Dragon has a unique look that embraces the feel of fiery dragons, which is a cool graphic for the skatepark.
While I love a great screen-printed base, this particular board really sticks out to me as very impressive. Combine this with the fact that it’s great for tricks and you’ve gotten an attractive board to kickflip with.
The top of the board is covered in grip tape but at the center is another dragon, this time centered in a diamond pattern. This is coolly understated and looks very cool in my opinion.
Level of Durability
This is a very durable board due to its unique production process. The board is crafted using an AirLam process that presses the material together at a high level of pressure.
The result is a board that can withstand riders upward of 200 pounds. As a result of this unique process, the deck is considered one of the toughest produced in Asia.
Also, any boarder will tell you that one of the most important components of a good board is its trucks. The Golden Dragon has cast aluminum trucks that provide a good amount of durability at a lightweight.
What it’s Built for
The Powell Golden Dragon is clearly designed with tricks in mind. Some of its more trick-friendly features include a grippy surface along the top of the board, carbon steel axles for reinforced strength, and a concave deck that keeps the feet more easily positioned in the places on the board for tricks.
Additionally, the wheels are smaller and the truck places the skateboard closer to the ground, which I find is a superior configuration for the skate park.
This is because smaller wheels accelerate quicker, which translates into more explosive tricks, especially when on the halfpipe.
Level of Maneuverability
This is a fairly smooth skateboard. The wheels are made of high-rebound and hand-cast polyurethane. The result of this material composition is that this board seems to have a good roll performance.
When it comes to turning, this is a pretty good board for general maneuverability. I wouldn’t compare it to a cruiser’s level of turning and smoothness, especially considering that the wheels are best suited for the flattest surfaces, but for general use, it’s a good board.
Since this board is definitely aimed at beginners, I would say that most children and adults can learn to turn on it pretty easily.
- The durometer of the wheels is of a higher hardness, which makes them great for tricks.
- At a 54mm diameter, the wheels are also great for beginners to get a nice balanced feel.
- The deck has a high amount of pop and stiffness.
- This is a very grippy board; a feature that trick enthusiasts will love.
- It’s rare that you’ll find such a complex design on the base of your board for such a competitive price; it really is attractive.
- This is really not the best board for cruising; its wheels are so small that you’ll feel every pebble and seam in the pavement.
- If you’re over 200 pounds, the deck will start to feel a bit soft, so it may be better to try another board.
- The truck’s bushings can be a bit soft, which can cause the board to lean somewhat.
- You’ll need a wrench to adjust the trucks, which can be a bit annoying for anyone who doesn’t have the required tools.
Great Articles for Skateboarding:
The Bottom Line:
If you need a well-balanced board that has some cool looks, then the Golden Dragon might be perfect for your boarding needs.
I really also love how grippy the top portion is; this makes it a near-perfect board for executing tricks like ollies and kickflips.
- Brand New Complete Skateboard
- Measures 7.5" x 31.5"
- Canada maple.
- 31*8 inches.
- 54*36mm Wheels
- ABEC-9 bearings.
- Well packaged complete skateboard
- STUNTS -- 31"x 8" full size double kick concave design; Ideal for BEGINNER doing some basic stunts such 360's, OL action and a few other basic tricks
- DURABLE -- High density 9 layer canadian maple wood classical TRICKS skate board; Max supporting weight 220 lbs(100KG), suitable for adult kids age 5 yr up
- COMPLETE -- No assembly required - complete profession skateboard, 1 YEAR WARRANTY
- SMOOTH -- Super smooth 55mm 85A PU wheels with ABEC-7 precision bearings and PU bushings; Suitable for skater skating street, skate parks, ramps, pools and other smooth surfaces or even rough ground
- GRIP TAPE -- High quality black griptape on the board which provides a stable and more powerfulgrip during skating on the wood skateboard
- SOLID SPECS - 7.5 x 31 inch, 7-ply maple deck and 52 x 31 mm 99A durometer polyurethane wheels.
- STURDY HARDWARE - 5 inch aluminum trucks and ABEC 7 bearings are tough for gnarly rides.
- SMOOTH RIDE - 3mm riser pads and HR95A bushings eliminate wheel bite and ensure easy carving.
- GOOD TO GO - A complete skateboard with pre-applied grip tape so you're ready for anything.
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY - Manufacturer warranty makes this a board you can count on.
- Skateboard Deck: 27" x 8", 7-Ply Maple, Medium Concave, None Flex
- Skateboard Trucks: 7.675 HD5 Heavy Duty 2 Tone Trucks, 125mm Hanger, Aluminum Alloy
- Skateboard Bearings: Abec 7 Chrome Bearings
- Skateboard Wheels : Q-Ball 62mm 4 colors Wheels, 78A Hardness
- Top covered with Black griptape. This board is assembled and ready to ride when you receive it.