Skateboarding is more than a simple activity that you may enjoy from time to time; it is a way of life for many skateboard enthusiasts.
You can find out more about what skateboarding can do for you. Check Out Reasons to Skateboarding worth it.
Longboards are great for getting around town, but what if you want to pick up speed and race your friends downhill?
Then, you are going to need a board that can stand up to the task. This is where drop through longboards come into play.
In this guide, we are going to look at nine of the best drop through longboard options that are on the market.
Before we skate our way through the products, let’s take a look at what a drop through longboard is and some of the considerations that you will need to make before deciding which one is best for you.
Great Articles for Skateboarding:
Drop Through Longboards Comparison
What are Drop Through Longboards?
Drop through longboards are cruisers that are designed specifically for speed. They are great for racing downhill as well as traveling quickly from one location to another.
The main difference that you will notice with this type of board is the way that the trucks are attached. Most skateboards have top mounted trucks that are attached directly to the bottom of the board, but a drop through the board is designed a little bit differently.
With this type of board, the truck is positioned on the top of the board, and the part that holds the wheels goes through the board.
Drop Through Longboard Reviews
1) Rimable Drop-through Longboard
Best Overall Longboard
The first board that we are going to review is a drop through a board that is designed by Rimable.
The first thing that you will notice about the board is the bright coloration of the deck.
The underside is a sunset yellow with palm trees and a wave that you could surf. The top has a grippy surface, that has two racing stripes down the center of the board. Check The Customer Reviews & QA.
This 41-inch longboard is designed out of a durable maple material that is a full nine ply thick.
The wheels are 70mm in diameter, which is the perfect size to give you a smooth ride, even when you are traveling quickly downhill. This board also comes with ABEC-11 bearings, which allows you to travel at an even higher speed.
- The board is slightly turned inwards so that you can make your way around corners without slowing down.
- The board has a really great grippy surface that keeps your feet from sliding when you go downhill.
- This board provides a really smooth ride on both flat pavements and in a downhill setting.
- When riding on rough pavement, the trucks tend to shake a bit loose, so they will need tightening.
2) VOLADOR Freeride Longboard
Best Longboard for Pros
The next board is the VOLADOR Freeride longboard, and it is a board that is designed for people who have a bit of experience skating on a longboard.
The design of this board is quite unique; the bottom of the deck features rolling hills of green and pink, while the top is a black grippy surface that sports a white outline of a catfish and the company logo. Check Customer Reviews & Answered Questions
The board itself is made from a durable hardwood maple that is designed to last for years of use.
The deck is eight ply, which adds more strength to the unit, and it has a cambered design that is great for shock absorption as you are riding at full speed downhill.
The ABEC-7 bearings add to the smoothness of the ride as well.
- This board turns quite well for a drop through the board, which is why it is a great option for someone who likes to freeride.
- The deck is quite grippy, which makes it nearly impossible to lose your footing.
- This board has a lightweight design that makes it easy to carry with you when you can’t ride.
- The bearings that come with this board are not the best, so they may need to be replaced for more speed.
3) Atom Drop-Through Longboard
Best Board for Gliding
The Atom Drop-Through Longboard is a great board for someone who wants a simple design on their deck.
The top is merely a black surface with a lot of grips that will keep your feet in place on the board.
There is a small blue logo on the top of the deck, but most of the design is reserved for the bottom of this board.
The underside has the company logo and a few blue and white circles on one side of the board.
This longboard has a maple deck that is designed to last, but it also has a laminate coating to help protect it from the elements.
- Because this board is so low to the ground, it is very stable at high speeds.
- The wheels are great for carving and grinding.
- Making turns on this board is simple.
- The grip on the deck is not the best when it is wet.
4) Santa Cruz Lion God Rasta Drop Thru Cruzer
Best Board for Beginners
The next drop through the board that we are going to review is one that comes from Santa Cruz, which is a company that is well known in the skateboard industry.
This 40-inch board is quite colorful; the top has a grippy surface that has a red, yellow, and green line right down the center.
The bottom of the deck features a lion with fur that is the same three colors and a crown on his head.
This is a board with a nine-ply maple construction that is durable and extremely stable, which makes it a great option for a beginner.
It also comes with large 75mm wheels that add additional stability to the board at high speeds. See Customers Rating & Answered Questions.
- The graphics on this board are amazing, which is sure to draw the attention of others as you ride past.
- This board does not wobble at all, regardless of the speed that you are traveling at.
- This board is very light, which makes it easy to carry.
- The bearings that come on this board are not the best, so if you want the tops speed that this board offers, you will need to replace them.
5) WiiSHAM Professional Speed Drop Down Complete Longboard
Best Board for Durability
When you need to go fast, this WiiSHAM product is a great option for the majority of downhill boarders.
Aesthetically, this is one of the best boards for looks as it has a very striking and intricate design on the bottom of the deck.
While there’s no recognizable or specific design, the deck’s bottom definitely has some brightly colored geometrical figures that look great.
While this longboard only has an ABEC 9 set of bearings, you can get some very fast speeds thanks to the high-speed lubricant that WiiSHAM used.
Also, the wheels have an 83A level of hardness, which definitely provides some good solid riding, especially when you’re going fast downhill.
While these aren’t great for general cruising, on flat and even land, you’ll accelerate fast without any wobbliness.
- This board is 42.5 inches long, which provides a lot of space and stability for the rider.
- It comes with free T-tools so that you can adjust the trucks, replace any component, and make tweaks to the wheels.
- With a deck that has a nine-ply maple construction, this board is exceptionally strong and can handle even larger riders.
- If you’re taking this on anything but a smoothly paved area, you may experience a bit of bumpiness.
6) Sector 9 Aperture Sidewinder Drop Through
Best for Downhill Cruising
If you are looking to do a little cruising rather than downhill racing, this Sector 9 longboard has a great design that provides some stability and moderate speed.
When it comes to looks, this board is very distinctive. It has a black overall coloration but also features a brightly colored blue and green wave that just looks cool.
The wheels on this are made of urethane and have a blue mottled look that is also attractive.
When it comes to overall performance, this board is definitely not a speedy product. It has the ABEC-5 bearing that is really best for cruising around the neighborhood.
To assist this, the trucks are gullwing sidewinder-style, which gives them a good amount of turnability when you need to maneuver down the street.
Additionally, the deck is nine inches wide, which means that this is a very easy board to find your balance on. See More Details on Manufacture site.
- This sector 9 product has a lot of maneuverability, which is great for cruising.
- The bottom deck design is very attractive.
- It’s very easy to carve with this board and its bearings provide a smooth ride through city streets.
- You won’t get a lot of speed or acceleration out of this board.
7) Rimable Bamboo Drop Through Board
Best Board for Grip
This board, from Rimable, uses a combination of maple and bamboo so that the deck has top-level durability as well as a significant amount of flex.
Its design is very unique and actually uses the wood grain appearance of the maple in its design.
Additionally, from an appearance perspective, the board has some Aztec-inspired art at the base that really gives the board a classic look.
The top of the deck is covered in grip tape and features the Rimable logo at the tail.
One of the best features of this board is its ABEC 11 bearings, which are great for providing speed and a very smooth ride.
In many cases, you have to replace the bearings on a longboard; fortunately, this isn’t the case with this RImable board. This is also a board that is very sturdy, which means that it should be able to handle even larger adults.
- The design on the base of the deck is very attractive and intricate.
- The ABEC 11 bearings provide a smooth ride and will really help you pick up acceleration on the downhill.
- The top of the deck has the very grippy tape that will help you maintain your footing as you speed along.
- The trucks aren’t of the highest quality; you may need to replace them if you plan on doing more than straight longboarding.
8) Punisher Skateboards Longboard
Best Board for Carving Hills
If you love Japanese-themed boards, then the Punisher longboard, which features the mythological Oni of Japanese lore, will really fit your style.
This board’s intricately designed deck is almost busy with characters, it has the Oni, some kanji, and the Punisher logo.
Another interesting feature of this board is the clear wheels; these simply look amazing when you’re carving.
In addition to the Oni design, there are five different deck designs to choose from.
When it comes to longboarding stats, this board is clearly designed with downhill racing in mind.
Like all of the boards in this guide, this is a drop through a model that also features a drop down deck so that your sense of gravity is very low, which is amazing for keeping turns tight and granting extra stability. more details here.
Unboxing Video Review:
- This deck has a bit of camber on it, which provides a good amount of flex while riding.
- There are a lot of design options for this board.
- The wheels are made of a transparent polyurethane and are harder for speed.
- Unfortunately, when it comes to rider weight, this board tops out at around 170 pounds.
- For downhill racing, the ABEC 9 bearings are adequate, but they could be faster.
9) Sector 9 Green Wave Lookout II Drop
The final board in this list of longboards with drop through trucks is this beautiful Sector 9 board that’s specifically designed for downhill riding.
One of the most striking features of this board is the Japanese wood block-themed design on the bottom of the deck.
This deck illustration has a sea green coloration and really adds a lot of style to the board itself.
Outside of the deck design, the deck itself is wood colored because it is actually comprised of bamboo.
This material gives the deck a lot of flex, which is perfect for any rider that intends to do a lot of downhill racing.
The drop through trucks is also very low to the ground, which makes this board a very stable option for anyone looking to do a little racing. Details of sector 9.
- The design on the base of this board is very attractive.
- The bamboo construction is at once very strong and flexes easily.
- The trucks are also very wide, which means that the wheelbase is very stable.
- Unfortunately, this longboard uses ABEC 5 bearings, which cuts down its downhill speeds.
- The design at the base has a tendency to fade somewhat.
Top Mount Longboard vs Drop Through Longboard
So, what would make you choose a drop through board over a top mounted board? Well, that’s simple: SPEED! There are quite a few skateboard enthusiasts who prefer a quick board over one that is good for tricks.
That being said, the lower position of drop through longboard decks makes it easier to pick up speed and maintain stability as you ride. On the other hand, if you are riding in an area that has a lot of turns, you may have more difficulty skating around the corners without drifting.
Fortunately, these boards are designed to give you a good amount of grip as you slide around turns so that you can easily stay on the board.
Safety is Important
Since these longboards are designed for speed, you are going to need to consider your safety as well when you are skating. That means that you want to ensure that the board that you select is not going to cause you to wipe out.
As we already discussed, the design of a drop through board adds stability to your ride, so if you are a beginner who is having difficulties learning to balance on a longboard, then you can try one of these boards to help you balance as you are riding.
In addition, even though a drop through board slides when it turns, this is actually a safer way to stop. You will have more control over a sliding board than one that is simply going too fast for you to handle, which can ensure that injuries do not occur.
Large Wheels Add Stability
When you are looking for a new drop through the board, you are going to want to take the size of the wheel into consideration as well. Since you are getting this board for speed,
you will want to find a board with wheels that are somewhat large so that you have more stability as you ride.
Also, if you purchase a board with small wheels, make sure that there are wheel cutouts on the board so that you can upgrade the wheels if you’d like without the wheels rubbing on the board as you skate.
Picking up Speed
Since the deck of this type of board is so close to the ground, you will not have to work as hard as you would with other skateboards to push off of the ground and pick up speed. Less distance between the deck.
and the board means that you don’t need to move as much, which gives you more speed with less push. That being said, if you are trying to lose weight by skateboarding, this may not be the best type of skateboard for you because it requires less effort to cruise down the street.
With the intent of going fast on the board that you choose, you want a deck that is going to be durable and dependable every time that you ride your new board. you do not have a durable deck, a wipeout could cause the board to become damaged in the fall.
Typically, the boards with the best construction use a hard, durable wood like maple or bamboo, but there are other options as well. Check out my guide on the best longboards under $50 if you want to find a durable board that won’t break the bank.
Drop through longboards are a great option for a beginner who is just learning to skate because of the stability and the control that the board provides.
It is also great for someone who has some skills when it comes to skateboarding because these boards can travel fast. In fact, with the right wheels and bearings, some can travel at speeds of more than 80 miles per hour.
Hopefully, this guide has helped you find the best drop through longboard for your needs, but if speed is not your forte, there are plenty of skateboards available that may fit your skate style.
Use my guide to help you choose the best skateboard for your needs, and don’t be afraid to browse the site, we have plenty of interesting skateboarding articles.
- Classic retro-surf-style longboard for commuting, cruising, carving, and downhill riding
- Dimensions: 41" x 9.5" featuring drop-through trucks
- Made with 8-ply vertically laminated Canadian Maple
- ABEC-7 pre-lubricated high-speed carbon bearings for a smooth, fast ride
- 70 x 51mm PU-casted cushion 78a wheels
- Come with Multi-function Skate Tool
- Strong but Flexible Eight Ply Maple Deck make longboard can Hold Up to 250 LBS weight
- Big Soft 70x50mm PU Wheels combined with ABEC-9 Bearings for Smooth Ride
- Solid 7 Inch Aluminum Trucks equipped with soft bushings for Comfortable Longboarding
- Easy to Learn for Kids and Adults beginner due to low to ground feature come from Dropthroguht mounting technology
- SUPER STRONG MAPLE: Durable 8-ply hardwood maple deck with max load weight 220Ibs
- LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM TRUCKS: 3" strong aluminum truck and base with polished finish
- SOFT PU WHEELS: Super smooth 80 A PU wheels with ABEC-11 high speed bearings
- SHOCK ABSORBER: Lightweight with shock absorb ring guarantee the smooth cruising
- DECK SIZE: 41” Long x 10.2” Wide , no assembly required
- As an artisan work from our engineering team, the 42inch drop through camber deck offers super flex and shock absorber.
- 8-ply natural hardrock maple and epoxy glue, healthy materials bring more fun, and is better for environment.
- Genuine alluminium 7-Inch reverse kingpin trucks are adjustable as 50 or 45 degree, and take to you great maneuverability.
- Durable 70x51mm 78A PU wheels work with ABEC-9 presion bearings, letting you enjoy an unsurpassed smooth ride.
- Designed by talents across the Atlantic. Graphics range from strikingly vintage to avant-garde looks.
- Ultra-low-riding longboard ensures maximum stability, making it ideal for downhill carving
- Ease of pushing takes wear and tear out of around-town commutes, as well
- Unique perimeter shape gives 9.6-inches of leverage into every turn, while also eliminating wheel bite
- Full maple laminate deck; reverse King Pin (RKP) longboard trucks with 245-millimeter axles
- Includes limited one-year manufacturer's warranty
- Full maple laminate deck
- Reverse King Pin (RKP) longboard trucks (245mm axles)
- Wide-Lip 70x51mm super high rebound (SHR) urethane wheels
- ABEC 9 bearings with high-speed lubricant
- High quality 80S grip tape
- 42 X 9 Inch Longborads Skateboards, drop through camber deck offers super flex and shock absorber.
- Cold press 9 ply natural hardrock maple and epoxy glue, healthy materials bring more fun, and is better for environment.
- ABEC-11 high speed chrome steel bearings,7 inch 180 genuine aluminum trucks are adjustable as 50 or 45 degree, and take to you great maneuverability.
- Durable 70x51mm 85A PU wheels with rock finish. PU shock absorb ring: providing effective cushioning, adds more comfort to your skateboarding experience.
- Built for downhill, speed and freestyle riding, wide turning radius,suitable for all age sports enthusiast groups. 100% MONEY-BACK, buy with confidence,if for any reason you are not satisfied, we will give you a full refund.
- ENGINEERING: ABEC-11 skateboard bearing to withstand high rotation speed, making it smoother and faster
- DECK: 40” long x 9” wide deck made of 9-ply flex maple; brushed black surface for antislip
- TRUCKS: highly responsive 7-inch aluminum trucks for strength and stability
- WHEELS: big size 70mm x 51mm PU wheels offers better balance at high-speed downhill riding
- DESIGN: unique fascinating design and color of mysterious forest and sky
- Deck: Maple/Bamboo hybrid laminate with photo heat transfer graphic
- Trucks: Navigator Drone - 40 degree base - 180mm hangers
- Wheels: Atom AREA 51 - 70mm diameter - 51mm wide - 78A - SHR
- Bearings: ABEC 9 with high-speed lubricant
- Grip: Coarse 46 grit
- THE VINTAGE LONGBOARD —— 41-Inch artisan longboard made from 8-ply natural hardrock maple, designed for a vintage look
- DARE TO COMPARE —— Merkapa drop longboard deck offers greater turning leverage and manoeuvrability
- AUTHENTIC COMPONENTS —— Rugged and lightweight 7-Inch aluminum longboard trucks, durable 70x51mm 90a PU longboard wheels with equipped with ABEC 9 bearings
- MADE IN MERKAPA —— As the best of the tradition brands, Merkapa aim to design and make own art longboard skateboard
- ENJOY LONGBOARD —— Brace yourself for the ultimate longboard joyride. Look no further, cultivating your passion!